Monday, September 8, 2008

Leeza in Libya


I wonder how uncomfortable Condoleeza Rice felt during her recent visit with Col. Muammar Gaddafi or what either gained from the interaction. Well, we know she gained a locket engraved with his picture, according to the New York Times. And we know Gaddafi gained an intimate one-on-one (plus translators and note-takers) with the woman whom he strangely referred to as "my darling black African woman," and of whom he said, "Leeza, Leeza, Leeza...I love her very much," according to another Times article.

Why shower the woman with such affection? Perhaps in hopes that it would continue the mending of the US-Libya relationship? I get the sneaking suspicion however, that he doesn't take her fully seriously as a professional. In the public spotlight Ms. Rice must of course graciously receive Gaddafi's rather narcissistic gifts. But all the while she must be thinking, who does this guy think he is? I know I would.

I have seen his motorcade and entourage take on Kampala, posters of his face plastered all over the city. He came and belittled the Bible and mocked Christianity, in a country where the majority of people are Christian. The guy has one of the biggest egos around, and let me tell you, that is saying something. It would have been the cause of a clash with Museveni....but of course there is nothing that a little (ok, a lot) of money and investments can't smooth over. Oh yeah, and he also suggested to Museveni that he should never leave power...

No comments: